- 3 lbs fresh ripe tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- ½ onion diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups chicken or veggie broth
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese optional garnish
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or 3 tbs. of butter optional
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Wash and cut tomatoes (cut in half for smaller apricot sized tomatoes, cut larger tomatoes into quarters or eighths).
- Place tomatoes, garlic, onion, olive oil, salt, pepper and dried herbs in a large shallow baking pan.
- Roast 25 minutes, stirring after twice during this time.
- Broil on high for 3-4 minutes or until some of the tomatoes gets a little bit of char on them.
- Bring broth to a boil, add tomatoes and fresh herbs. Using a hand blender, blend the mixture until smooth and creamy. Add heavy cream or butter if using.
- Top with parmesan cheese, croutons or a drizzle of heavy cream.
I generally add some cream if the tomatoes are extra tart, most often nice ripe tomatoes won’t require the cream. Taste the soup once blended and decide if you’d like to add the cream. Stir in a little at a time.